This step-by-step guideline for successfully implementing a telemarketing and lead management program was developed by Select Marketing of Austin, Texas. Some steps may be finessed, depending upon individual circumstances, but all items should at least be considered.
* Get top management's preliminary understanding, commitment and support for the necessary personnel, financial resources and time required for program development and testing.
* Enlist a first-rate consultant's assistance or hire a telemarketing professional to add to your in-house staff.
* Overview company operations including products and services pre-sently offered and planned, the strengths and weaknesses of the entire current marketing program, market area parameters for current and proposed sales operations and the competition's marketing procedures (especially any telemarketing operations).
* Review the customer service program and determine whether it could be incorporated into the overall telemarketing effort.
Likewise, consider integration procedures with the other marketing channels.
* Set specific goals for the telemarketing program and weigh the relative merits of developing an in-house operation against using an outside telemarketing firm. Consider using them in combination as well.
* Create a telemarketing implementation plan and get agreement from all levels of applicable management.
* Analyze the customer database profile and review profitable customer segments by type and size of business. Determine 80/20 breakout.
* Construct initial prospect database elements. Review lists and select list suppliers. Design test procedures and evaluation parameters for the lists as well as electronic or manual maintenance. Develop market segment analysis program for market evaluation during the test calling of the prospect database.